Happy Father's Day! This is a special day to celebrate fathers in the United States. For many families it's a day of celebration and fun; a day filled with kid-chosen ties, or crazy daddy stories, or a fun afternoon for the family at a place Dad chooses.
If there's no father in your family, it can still be a very special day. This is a great day to celebrate God, our Father. In 2 Corinthians 6:18 (NIV), we read "I will be a Father to you and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty." You never have to be without a Father again!
All those things that we celebrate in earthly fathers are found even more in our heavenly Father. God, our Father, is a protector, a provider, a leader, a teacher. He is powerful, loving, and he has a great sense of humor.
So how can you celebrate Father's Day with God? Here are some ideas for you and your kids:
- Spend some time in his house today. If you don't have a regular place of worship, visit one nearby. He likes to have you visit.
- Listen to him tell you that he loves you. There are lots of places in the Bible, but here are a few: He created you wonderfully. – Psalm 139:13-14, Every good gift comes from him. – James 1:17, He has plans to prosper you; to give you a future and hope. – Jeremiah 29:11, and He loves you with an everlasting love! – Jeremiah 31:3
- Tell him that you love him, too. Don't worry about the words you use, just tell him from your heart. He just wants you to talk to him.
- What's a celebration without music? Sing or play music for him. Don't worry if you don't sing like an American Idol.
- Listen to him tell the great things he has done by reading his word, the Bible. You might want to hear about how he freed the Israelites from slavery (in Exodus), or sent his son Jesus for our salvation (my personal favorite is in Luke).
- Listen to his words of wisdom from the Bible, in Proverbs or James.
- Go have fun in the world he made. Take a trip to the zoo to see some of the animals he made, or find a beautiful spot he made for a picnic.
Have a Happy Father's Day!
Joy Goodman is a mom whose mission is to encourage parents and to celebrate joys of being a parent.